Intern: Mining Engineer: New Hampshire: Pike is looking for Interns to work within the Aggregate Division. The Intern will work with Mining Engineers to track data, analyze processes, and recommend solutions for improvement based on the gathered data from our facilities. In addition, the intern will focus on writing reports and assisting in recommendations for improving process flow, decreasing cycle times, and making improvements to crushers. The selected candidate will be exposed to the overall aggregate process from blasting to production and the practices Pike follows in order to reach and maintain a high standard of quality with all of our products and projects. The position will include a variety of site visits to facilities throughout New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work under the direction of an Aggregates Supervisor and Mining Engineer to understand aggregates workflow at quarry facilities.
- Reviewing aggregate production to develop methods to extract material, evaluating factors such as safety, operational costs, deposit characteristics and overburden depth.
- Assisting in the layout and direction of mine construction operations, such as location and development of ramps and positioning of mining area, access roads etc.
- Assisting in analyzing throughput costs, analyzing plant flow, and determining cycle time opportunities in the load/haul fleet.
- Assisting with analyzing and determining labor requirements, equipment needs, and operational costs for annual budget preparation and reporting.
- Spend time in the field to learn about the daily work necessary to go into producing a quality product.
- Input data into an aggregates software program and write reports based on the collected data.
- Identify and become familiar with various specifications requirements.
- Must be currently enrolled in a college degree program.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high stress environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to write reports and analyze raw data.
- The willingness to work extended hours with possible night and/or weekend work as well as overnights.
- The willingness to travel to other Pike locations throughout Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
- A valid driver’s license