School Year After-School and Weekend STEM Instructor (Part-time)
Location: More than 20 throughout the Greater Boston Area including Boston, Cambridge, and suburbs west (several from Brookline to Worcester including Newton and Lexington), north (several from Somerville to North Andover or Fitchburg) and South (including Milton)
Hours: Part-time afternoons and/or weekend days. Available 4 to 30 hours per week. Sept-June
Pay: $20-$25 per hour
Empow Studios is looking for energetic and enthusiastic technology-loving instructors for school year programs. Each class you get to hang out with 10 awesome kids and help them have a great time learning and building cool stuff. No prior experience teaching tech is necessary, but prior work with children is a must.
This is a fun and rewarding job where you can learn valuable skills for your future career. We invest heavily in our instructors with extensive paid training and an on-the-job coaching program! Our instructors learn how to facilitate project-based learning and develop important leadership skills such as relationship building, “employee” motivation, giving actionable feedback, and enabling others. You will also be trained on a variety of technologies to prepare you for your classes. All of our instructors leave with a formal evaluation letter that can be used as a letter of reference.
This job is a great fit for college students, teachers, and educational paraprofessionals looking for a fun part-time experience. This job is also great for people looking to break into informal education professions such as after school care or museum education. We offer a fun, supportive environment working with kids who love coming to class.
Who You Are
Empow Studios instructors love working with kids and are always ready to learn something new. Our learning experiences are child-led, so we are a team of people who delight in and celebrate all of the quirky and creative projects our students imagine. Whether you see yourself as an artist or an engineer, we welcome digital designers of all types!
What You’ll Do
- Build a creative community with your group of 10 students, who are rising 2nd to 8th graders
- Support your students through problem-solving and designing, providing troubleshooting when needed
- Learn about and share your excitement for some of our exciting technologies
- Work with our Programs team and your Site Director to develop and hone your teaching practice
- Participate in showcases where students show off their amazing projects to family and friends
You Must Have
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Volunteer or paid experience working with children from 2nd – 8th grade
- Comfort with technology and interest in the specific techs we teach (experience not required!)
- Ability to clear background checks
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Reliable transportation to at least one of our locations
Ideal Candidates Additionally Have
- Some experience playing video games and creating things with technology
- Strong social skills with both adults and children
- Ability to engage and manage small groups in classroom settings
What Our Instructors Say About Working At Empow
- One of the most rewarding jobs I’ve ever had!
- The kids really are super excited to be in class which is amazing
- The training and curriculum is great. I felt really well prepared.
- Looks great on my CV and gave me lots to talk about in job interviews
Now that you’ve imagined the possibilities, we’d love to hear from you. Apply today – no resumé or cover letter required: bit.ly/EmpowInstructor.
Empow Studios is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this exciting new opportunity. Empow Studios is an E-verify Employer.