Provides supervision, care and correctional treatment of inmates. Concerned with maintenance of institution security contributing to the health and welfare of the inmates and the promotion of good public relations.
Enforces rules and regulations governing facility security, inmate accountability and inmate conduct to ensure judicial sanctions are carried out and inmates remain in custody. From time to time, may be authorized to carry firearms and to use physical force, including deadly force, to maintain control of inmates.
GL-05: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
GL-06: Nine (9) semester hours or fourteen (14) quarter hours of graduate study, from an accredited school, in criminal justice, social science, or other field related to the position.
GL-07: One full academic year of graduate education with major study in criminal justice, social science, or other field related to the position is qualifying for GL-07.
GL-05: At least 3 years of full-time general experience, one year of which was equivalent to the GL-04 grade level, or one year of specialized experience. This experience must have demonstrated the aptitude for acquiring the qualifications required for correctional work, and, in addition, demonstrate the possession of personal attributes important to the effectiveness of correctional officers, such as:
- Ability to meet and deal with people of differing backgrounds and behavioral patterns.
- Ability to be persuasive in selling and influencing ideas.
- Ability to lead, supervise, and instruct others.
- Sympathetic attitude towards the welfare of others.
- Ability to reason soundly and to think out practical solutions to problems.
- Ability to make decisions and act quickly, particularly under stress.
- Poise and self-confidence, and ability to remain calm during emergency situations.
General experience may have been gained in work such as:
- Social case work in a welfare agency or counseling in other types of organizations.
- Classroom teaching or instructing.
- Responsible rehabilitation work, e.g., in an alcoholic rehabilitation program.
- Supervising planned recreational activities or active participation in community action programs.
- Management or supervisory work in a business or other organization that included directing the work flow and/or direct supervision of others.
- Persuasive sales work or commissioned sales work, other than taking and filling orders as in over-the-counter sales.
Salary: $44,545 – $64,121 per year