Reynolds American is evolving at a pace like no other organization.
To achieve the ambition we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be the change!
We are looking for an External Relations Intern
- GRADE: 31
- JOB TITLE: External Relations Intern
- FUNCTION: Marketing
- SUB FUNCTION: Marketing – Trade Marketing & Distribution – Field
- LOCATION: Winston Salem, NC
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
The External Relations Intern will support in the strategy, development, and execution of our legislative and general engagement strategies. This includes interfacing with influential trade partners, industry associations, Law and External Affairs, and internal commercial teams. A key focus of this position is managing proactive and opposition activities at the local, state, and federal levels and supporting the A Better Tomorrow vision through actionable relationships.
This position demands an individual with a passion for delivering commercial sustainability and value through the lens of legislative and regulatory engagement. This position will include opportunities to interface with senior level leadership both within the Reynolds organization and our external partners which requires a high level of business acumen and decorum.
Independent judgement/decision-making, influencing, strong organization, time management and prioritization of tasks, and public speaking skills are critical for success in this role. This position requires an individual who is quickly able to build and maintain relationships and absorb new learnings that can be applied into swift action.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
The External Relations Intern will work alongside full-time External Relations team members, where they will contribute to the successful execution of our legislative, commercial, and regulatory goals.
Reports to: Senior Manager External Engagement
Number of Direct Reports: N/A
Geographic Scope : National
- Internal – EXR, LEX, TMD
- External – Trade Marketing, Retail customers, Wholesale Customers, Trade Associations
Travel Required: 25% or as needed.
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR:
- Participates in a full-time, 40-hour work week Internship Program for 10 weeks.
- Collaborates with other internal teams including LEX, Trade Marketing, and other functions as needed.
- Develops superior issue knowledge on legislative priorities and, under mentor guidance, effectively educates and engages external partners with a goal of defeating hostile legislation but also supporting proactive legislation.
- Implement and drive tactical policy priorities to include testimony, grassroots coordination, media opportunities, and 1:1 meetings with elected officials to maximize influence of trade partners among city council members and state and federal elected officials.
- Functions independently and collaboratively.
- Learns about legislative strategies, trade partner engagement, and association management.
- Develop and present a strategic business analysis project addressing real business opportunities and creating action plans against those opportunities.
- Timely completion of administrative tasks including e-Learnings, expense reports, and vehicle mileage reports.
- Completes personal development and training sessions on social styles and adaptive communication.
- Effectively and appropriately uses independent judgment in making business and legislative strategy recommendations.
CAN THIS BE YOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- Can you work a full-time schedule during the 10 weeks of the summer internship program?
- Are you interested in learning more about how to defend adult choice within the consumer-packaged goods industry?
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Rising Senior pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree- Business Degree or Political Science preferred
- 21 years or older at the start of the Internship Program
- Valid U.S. driver’s license with no restrictions and safe driving record
- Established ability to work independently and with a team
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative working relationships
- Commitment to personal and professional development
- Proficient with MS Office applicants
Physical Requirements (*Essential functions)
- *Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- *Ability to climb and work from heights ranging from 9 to 12 feet
- *Ability to access and work in limited and confined spaces
- *Ability to visually inspect and manipulate merchandise and advertising displays
- *Ability to frequently stoop, kneel and crouch
SALARY AND BENEFITS OVERVIEW
Hourly Rate: Undergraduate Rate: $21.00 per hour / Graduate Rate: $38.50 per hour
- Leadership training opportunities
- Roundtable Networking Events with senior leadership
- Engagement Events with fellow interns
- Generous salary
- Housing stipends provided
- On-Site Health Fitness Centers at corporate, research and manufacturing locations
- Participation in Reynolds American’s award-winning 401(k) retirement savings plan including company contributions
- Confidential personal financial counseling service at no cost to you
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that welcome opportunities for growth. We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences, and talents to improve the company’s potential for optimally achieving its business objectives!
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly via email at TalentAcquisition@RJRT.com.