Internships Process (Step-by-Step Guide)

1. Student researches University catalog to identify if experience-based learning possibilities are eligible for academic credit in their department.

2. Employer promotes job/internship/co-op opportunity and student expresses interest.

3. Student carefully reads UMass Lowell co-op/internship/other contract/agreement form (if applicable) and, if agrees to all conditions, signs the form in all appropriate places

4. Student asks faculty member if the opportunity has sufficient content related to academics to be acceptable.

5. Faculty member checks to make certain the student is academically in good standing and qualified.

6. Faculty member clearly explains any special requirements their academic department requires (i.e. course enrollment, learning contract, final paper, etc.)

7. Faculty member reads and signs appropriate form(s) with their approval.

8. Student applies and interviews for opportunity.

9. If it seems likely they will be made an offer, international student (on an F-1 visa) goes to international student advisor to make certain that they qualify for curricular practical training (i.e., have already taken one academic year of courses in the U.S.; are enrolled as full-time student; visa is in active status, are eligible for optional and/or curricular practical training). International student advisor will clearly explain that, unless this experience is required by their academic program, F-1 visa holders may work NO MORE THAN 20 hours per week during the academic semesters. During summer and winter sessions, however, this restriction does not exist.

10. If Employer makes offer, student clearly explains any special or unique requirements of their academic department and then asks employer to read and sign form(s) in all appropriate places.

11. International student goes to international student advisor with all signed forms and their I-20. Once permission to work has been granted and all forms signed by international student advisor, student may begin their work period.

12. Student brings all completed forms to the Career & Co-op Center or their faculty sponsor/advisor for record keeping and distribution, if applicable.

13. If academic credit is being awarded for this experience, then the student must formally register for the class using the correct course number. In most cases, for online registration a permission number or special course registration override code must be provided by the faculty member.