Middlesex District Attorney’s Office
Victim Witness Advocate
About The Office
The Middlesex District Attorney’s Office (MDAO) serves the largest county in New England, covering 54 diverse cities and towns.
Our core mission is to protect and serve the people who work, live, and raise their families in Middlesex County. Assistant District Attorneys, Victim Witness Advocates, Paralegals, and other talented professionals pursue this mission through exhaustive investigations, unassailable prosecutions, and compassionate victim advocacy.
We are also committed to innovative crime prevention and intervention initiatives. Our staff partners with community groups, social service providers, medical professionals, private industry leaders, and law enforcement officers to address a variety of public safety issues.
Job Title: Victim Witness Advocate
Exempt: Full Time 37.5 Hours / Week
Reports to: Chief of the Victim Witness Services Bureau
Placement within MDAO: One of the District Courts within Middlesex County.
The primary goal of the Victim Witness Bureau is to reduce the level of secondary injury associated with the aftermath of crime and to aid in the prosecution of criminal cases by ensuring that crime victims and witnesses are provided with the entitlements and services mandated by the Massachusetts Victim Bill of Rights (M.G.L. c. 258B), and those additional services provided as a policy of the Bureau within the office of the Middlesex District Attorney. Victim Witness Advocates are primarily responsible for providing information, support, and advocacy services to victims, witnesses and their families throughout the criminal justice process.
- Orient and explain to victims, witnesses, and family members the court process and their rights throughout that process
- Court accompaniment for victims, witnesses and family members
- Crisis intervention for victims, witnesses, and family members who are in need as a result of their victimization
- Provide written and verbal notification to victims and witnesses regarding arrests, arraignments, pre-trial conferences, motions, hearings, grand jury appearances, trials, defaults, dispositions, restitution hearings, sentencing and appellate proceedings
- Assess and evaluate victim needs and assist with referrals for appropriate services such as: shelter, mental health counseling, peer support groups, emergency financial assistance, protection, and relocation Provide formal and informal education and training to criminal justice and community agencies regarding victim rights and victim witness services
- Participate/ facilitate in community round tables
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and experience in social services or criminal justice
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and workplace etiquette
- Ability to work well in a high pressure environment with multiple deadlines while maintaining a high level of quality
- A sincere interest in the public sector, the work of the MDAO, an overall understanding of the Criminal Justice System
- The sensitive and confidential nature of our work requires strong personal character, integrity, judgment and maturity
- A general knowledge of office practices and legal principles
- A valid driver’s license is required, as limited travel within the Greater Boston area and across Middlesex County may be required from time to time
Commitment to Diversity
District Attorney Ryan is committed to building a diverse staff and has formed both internal and external diversity committees to help attract, hire, retain and promote the very best staff, diverse in background and perspective, while helping formulate and guide policy and decision making, and pursue the mission of the office. The MDAO is an equal opportunity employer.
The Middlesex District Attorney’s Office requires employees to have received COVID-19 vaccination or to have been approved for exemption as a condition of employment. Finalists will be given details about how to demonstrate receipt of vaccination or request an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief or if the vaccine is medically contraindicated.
Interested candidates should submit to Aliya Khalidi an MDAO Application form (found at the external link under the “About” tab), a cover letter, resume, and a list of references to email@example.com. Please indicate in the “Subject” line the position you are applying for.